With the Oscar nominations coming later this week, I thought it would be fun to mention a few stats and reminders before they arrive. These are a random assortment, but maybe you'll find something interesting.
1. Host Seth MacFarlane could be nominated. Most likely, for Best Original Song ("Everybody Needs a Friend" from Ted).
2. Bryce Dallas Howard could be nominated for Best Live Action Short Film.
3. Auteur Michael Haneke could get his first nomination - for Best Original Screenplay. (Directors aren't credited in Best Foreign Language Film, so The White Ribbon's nomination doesn't count.)
4. If Cloud Atlas is nominated for Best Original Score, Tom Tykwer won't be a nominee. Only Reinhold Heil and Johnny Klimek are credited on the Academy's list of eligible scores.
|Only 2 nominees?! No more!|
5. No matter what the nominees are, there will be 5 songs nominated for Best Original Song.
6. George Clooney might be nominated this year in the Best Picture category, if he's credited as one of Argo's producers. (For instance, Brad Pitt was a credited producer on The Departed and The Tree of Life and wasn't nominated for either film.)
7. Another Coppola could be nominated. This time, it would be Roman Coppola for co-writing Moonrise Kingdom.
8. Composer Mychael Danna (Moneyball, Little Miss Sunshine) could get his first nomination for Life of Pi.
9. Editor William Goldenberg will probably be nominated twice - for Argo and Zero Dark Thirty.
10. Even if it doesn't receive a Best Picture nomination, newcomer Benh Zeitlin (director of Beasts of the Southern Wild) could get 2 nominations - for Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Original Score.
If I missed anything interesting, let me know in the comments!