Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Films I Saw in March

42nd Street is one of my new favorite musicals.

The Best:

1. 42nd Street (x2) - ****
2. The Wages of Fear - ****
3. Pickup on South Street - ****
4. The Smiling Lieutenant - ****
5. Ugetsu - ****
6. The Naked Spur - ****
7. Day of Wrath - ****
8. The Testament of Dr. Mabuse - ****
9. Design for Living - ****
10. Goodbye, Dragon Inn - ****

The Rest:

The Actress - ***
America, America - ***1/2
The Assassination of Richard Nixon - ***
Baby Face - ***
Bad Education - ***1/2
The Big Heat - ***1/2
The Bitter Tea of General Yen - ***
Bombshell - ***
Clean - ***
Counsellor at Law - ***1/2
Dead Man's Shoes - ***1/2
Downfall - ***1/2
The Earrings of Madame de… - ***
Flying Down to Rio - **1/2
Footlight Parade - ***
For Whom the Bell Tolls - ***
The Grand Budapest Hotel - ***1/2
Heaven Can Wait (1943) - ****
The Human Comedy - ***
I Confess - ***
I Walked with a Zombie - ***1/2
I'm No Angel - ***
In Which We Serve - ***
The Invisible Man - ***1/2
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - ****
Layer Cake - ***1/2
The Leopard - ***1/2
Little Women (1933) - ***
Love with the Proper Stranger - ***1/2
Madame Curie - ***
Man's Castle - ***
Mean Creek - ***1/2
Muppets Most Wanted - ***
Noah - ****
Non-Stop - ***
Nymphomaniac - ****
Phantom of the Opera (1943) - **1/2
Queen Christina - ***
The Robe - **1/2
Shock Corridor - ***
So Proud We Hail! - ***
The Song of Bernadette - ***1/2
This Land Is Mine - ****
This Sporting Life - ***1/2
3 Days to Kill - ***
The Woodsman - ***
Zero for Conduct - ***

Rewatched:

I Heart Huckabees - ****

58 Films Watched - 57 New, 1 Rewatched

8 comments:

  1. That's a lot of movies as usual! Only 3½ for The Grand Budapest Hotel? Curious, what prevented you from giving it 4?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Grand Budapest Hotel was enjoyable, but it felt very long and a little too scatterbrained towards the end. I'd like to see it again, though.

      Delete
  2. I'm always amazed at the number of films you manage to squeeze in a given month. Of the ones I've seen, I enjoyed them quite a bit. The one exception to that might be Noah. I liked it, but didn't love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Noah is a divisive film, for sure.

      Delete
  3. The Woodsman is such a creepy little film, but very fascinating. I always thought that was a really risky role for Bacon to take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very risky, but I think it helped that the film was very small.

      Delete
  4. Great list! There are so many here I need to see, including 42nd Street! You have me so intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's my favorite Busby Berkeley musical from that year over Footlight Parade and Gold Diggers of 1933. Right now, it's my second favorite musical behind Singin' in the Rain! :)

      Delete