Sunday, August 3, 2014

Films I Saw in July

La Notte

The Best:

1. La Notte (x2) - ****
2. Close-Up - ****
3. A Woman Is a Woman - ****
4. Meet John Doe - ****
5. Under the Skin - ****
6. Tabu (1931) - ****
7. The Man in the White Suit - ****
8. The Browning Version (1951) - ****
9. Early Summer - ****
10. The Immigrant (2014) - ****

Note: I forgot to mention in my 1951 CinSpec Awards post that I watched The Man in the White Suit, but I decided to put it on my 1952 ballot instead of my 1951 one.

The Rest:

A Nous la Liberte - ****
Bad Girl - ***1/2
Begin Again (x2) - ****
Blast of Silence - ***
Body Heat - ***1/2
Breathe In - **
Buck Privates - **1/2
The Champ (1931) - ***
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - ****
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) - ***1/2
The Devil and Daniel Webster - ***1/2
Diary of a Country Priest - ***1/2
Dom Hemingway - ***
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) - ***1/2
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941) - ***
Dracula (1931) - **1/2
Fanny (1961) - ***
A Free Soul - ***
The Front Page (1931) - ***
The Great Lie - **1/2
Here Comes Mr. Jordan - ****
The Innocents- ***1/2
Life Itself - ****
The Little Foxes - ***
Love on the Dole - ****
Lucy - ***
Man Hunt - ***
The Miracle Woman - ***
The Model and the Marriage Broker - ***
Mysterious Island - **1/2
The Peach Girl - **1/2
Platinum Blonde - ***1/2
Pocketful of Miracles - ***
Quo Vadis - ***
The Red Badge of Courage - ***
Sex Tape - *1/2
The Sin of Madelon Claudet - **1/2
Skippy - ***
Snowpiercer - ****
Storm Warning - ***1/2
Stranger by the Lake - ***
The Strawberry Blonde - ****
Street Scene - **1/2
Summer Interlude - ***1/2
The Tales of Hoffmann - **1/2
That Hamilton Woman - **1/2
Transformers: Age of Extinction - *1/2
The Wolf Man (1941) - ****
Yojimbo - ****

Rewatched:

The Grand Budapest Hotel - ****

60 Films Watched - 59 New, 1 Rewatched

4 comments:

  1. Spectacular number once again Josh! Looks like you saw a ton of great films this month. I have The Immigrant on my Netflix queue, I better get on that soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved several of the movies I saw, especially my top 5. Hope you like The Immigrant!

      Delete
  2. You really liked La Notte apparently? The ending is my favorite scene.

    I love Marion Cotillard's performance in The Immigrant

    How was The Grand Budapest Hotel on rewatch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. La Notte was a complete surprise. I LOVED every minute of it, and it's now in my top 5 favorite films. :)

      Oh, Marion was wonderful in that film!

      The Grand Budapest Hotel was more fun on a second viewing, and it was easier to watch, as I knew what to expect. (The same thing happened when I rewatched Moonrise Kingdom, actually.)

      Delete