Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Films I Saw in September

Peeping Tom

The Best:

1. Peeping Tom - ****
2. Under the Roofs of Paris - ****
3. Le Trou - ****
4. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning - ****
5. Night and the City - ****
6. The Mortal Storm - ****
7. The Bank Dick - ****
8. Orpheus - ****
9. Waterloo Bridge (1940) - ****
10. Only Lovers Left Alive - ****

The Rest:

All This, and Heaven Too - ***1/2
The Angry Silence - ***
Animal Crackers - **1/2
Anna Christie - **1/2
The Bad Sleep Well - ****
Black Sunday - **1/2
The Blood of a Poet - ****
Caged - ***
The Congress - ***
Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) - ***
The Dawn Patrol (1930) - ***1/2
Destination Moon - ***
The Docks of New York - ***1/2
The Drop - ****
The Entertainer - ***
Exodus - **1/2
Eyes Without a Face - ***1/2
Frank - ****
The Furies - ***1/2
The Great Beauty - ***1/2
The Great McGinty - ***1/2
Ida - ****
Inherit the Wind - ***
Kitty Foyle - **1/2
La Ronde - ***1/2
Le Week-End - ***1/2
Less Than Zero - **1/2
The Long Good Friday - ****
The Long Voyage Home - ***1/2
The Mark of Zorro - **1/2
The Men - ***
Monte Carlo (1930) - ***1/2
Morning Departure - ***1/2
Murder, Inc. - **1/2
Never on Sunday - ***1/2
No Way Out (1950) - ****
The November Man - **1/2
Ocean's Eleven (1960) - ***
Palo Alto - ****
Panic in the Streets - ****
People on Sunday - ***
Pride and Prejudice (1940) - ***
The Rover - ***1/2
Samson and Delilah (1950) - **1/2
Shoot the Piano Player - ***1/2
Sons and Lovers - ***1/2
The Thief of Bagdad - ***
This is Where I Leave You - **1/2
A Walk Among the Tombstones - ***
Where the Sidewalk Ends - ***1/2
Winchester '73 - ****

Rewatched:

None

61 Films Watched - 61 New, 0 Rewatched

4 comments:

  1. I love both Waterloo Bridge and The Mortal Storm. Both Vivien Leigh and Robert Taylor named Bridge the favorite of their respective careers and Taylor considered it his best performance. He's better than usual, inspired by Vivien no doubt, but I've always thought he was a better light comedian than a dramatic actor.

    Beside the excellent work from Maggie Sullavan, Jimmy Stewart and Robert Young Mortal Storm has another beautiful performance from Frank Morgan. What a terrific run of performances he gave in 39-40 what with Oz, Shop Around the Corner and this. He's one of the great under appreciated character actors.

    No Way Out has dated badly but it's still interesting as a snapshot of its time even more so though for the excellence of its three lead performances. I see you also watched Panic in the Streets where Richard Widmark is the good guy in diametric contrast to No Way Out. He a favorite of mine and like Barbara Stanwyck could play both the most odious villain or the pillar of all that is good and be believable in either role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh gives one of my new favorite performances of all time in WB. She's phenomenal, and Morgan is wonderful in Shop Around the Corner and The Mortal Storm. I wish more people knew about those films.

      While it is a little dated, I loved No Way Out, and Widmark is becoming a favorite of mine as well. Right now, I nominate him three times (Kiss of Death, Night and the City, and Pickup on South Street). Stanwyck was a tremendous talent. It's odd that she never won an Oscar.

      Delete
  2. Glad you loved The Long Good Friday. Has a terrific theme song. The final scene in the car always stayed with me. I remember you are a fan of that other Bob Hoskins 80s film Mona Lisa-which I prefer as I thought the characters were more interesting.

    I disliked the slow pacing of Only Lovers Left Alive, yet I appreciate it went for something different than the usual 'bodycount' horror film. The soundtrack was also pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I prefer Mona Lisa as well. As much as I loved The Long Good Friday, I'm not even sure Bob Hoskins will make my Best Actor lineup that year.

      The pacing of Only Lovers Left Alive was actually my favorite part of the film. :) I liked the soundtrack as well, and the performances and visuals were terrific.

      Delete